Hello,

Dear Visitor, Wherever you are in the world, Welcome to Around The World forum.

Many people may be surprised that Muslims love Mary (peace be upon her), the mother of Jesus (peace be upon him). In the Quran, no woman is given more attention than Mary(peace be upon her).

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: 'None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully. ' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

We would like to tell you NOW, a few things about the purpose of our forum: Around The World is twofold. First, it is to promote understanding between people from around the world. Secondly, it is to educate people on Islam, it's beliefs and practices.

We aspire to promote a good online communication experience for our members. I hope that you find your stay here beneficial, as well as enjoyable, and inshaAllah we benefit from each
other.

Thank you very much for visiting us and please let us make you aware of it : It is our aim That Every One of Our Visitors contributes feedback - good, bad or indifferent ...

Thank you for being a member of Around The World!

Guests can post on GUESTS RUN FORUM!

Earthquake in China

Go down

Earthquake in China

Post by shammy on Thu May 15, 2008 4:14 pm

China Earthquake appeal launched

The British Red Cross has launched an emergency appeal to assist thousands of people affected by a major earthquake that struck China on 12 May.

This is the worst earthquake to hit the country in more than 30 years.

The quake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale struck Wenchuan County in south west China’s Sichuan Province. The epicentre was approximately 92 kilometres from Chengdu, the provincial capital and the tremors were felt as far away as the Chinese capital, Beijing.

The death toll continues to rise but latest reports estimate at least 12,000 dead and 20,000 people injured.

In Dujiangyan city, a middle school classroom building collapsed and over 50 students were reported to have died. Some 80 per cent of the buildings in Beichuan County are reported to have collapsed.

The Red Cross Society of China’s (RCSC) local branches have started to provide emergency relief assistance, allocating 557 relief tents and 2,500 quilts from its regional disaster preparedness centre in Xian to the affected areas in Sichuan Province.

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/EDIS-7EMNHB?OpenDocument

http://www.redcross.org.uk/donatesection.asp?id=81125

http://www.cctv.com/english/20080514/102783.shtml

Dujianyan girl rescued after 56 hours

The miracle of life can occur even in the hardest circumstances. In the city of Dujianyan, a 20-year-old woman has been rescued from the rubble over 50 hours after the quake.

Rubble and debris dominate this residential area. But rescuers had not given up hope of finding signs of life. And their faith was justified. On Tuesday morning, they heard very weak moaning near a basement. Veteran rescue workers guided soldiers from the Chengdu Military Command and local firefighters as they opened up a narrow crevice. Rescuers were then able to converse with the woman trapped there. Weak but still composed, she said her name was Jia Zhengjiao and the day was her 20th birthday.

But getting her out safely wasn't easy. More digging could bring down the building if not done right. And aftershocks could come anytime.

With analysis born from experience, rescue experts decided to use a crane to secure the entire framework of the building and move away rocks and bricks around her one by one.

Rescue expert Shi Shuzhong said, "She can't move because a wooden framework locks her in. We have to find ways to secure the framework and make sure it won't break during digging. If it breaks, the debris it holds will collapse."

http://www.cctv.com/english/20080515/106214.shtml
shammy

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2007-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Earthquake in China

Post by Mohamed on Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 am

So touching Shammy those are other stories translated:

"When the rescuers found her, she was already dead, crushed by the collapsed house. Through all the debris, people can see her posture: both knees down, upper body forward with hands holding her body, like praying to the heaven. When the rescue team moved on to the next collapsed building, the team leader felt strange about the posture of the dead lady. He went back, checked and shouted to his team: "Come back, there is a baby alive under her body!" After a hard try, they carefully cleared the debris around the dead woman. Under her body was her wrapped baby, about three month old. Because of his mother’s protection, he wasn't hurt at all. He was still sleeping when he was taken out. The doctor came over to perform a routine check and found a cell phone tucked under his blanket. The screen had a message: “my loving baby, if you can survive, please remember I always love you.”

LIKE precious white flowers of mourning, tales of overwhelming valor and sacrifice are sprouting from the Sichuan earthquake rubble. They are twining around our hearts and binding us together as a nation.

In this time of unbearable grief, groups of young Chinese are doing their bit to deliver to the world stories of Sichuan earthquake heroism, writes Yao Minji.

Millions of Chinese have wept since the massive earthquake hit Sichuan Province at 2:28pm 10 days ago. We have grieved for the dead and been touched by the living. We have been left in awe of the strength of survivors and moved by the efforts of rescuers who keep fighting to save one just more life.

And we have mourned for all the fathers, mothers and teachers who sacrificed themselves to save children.

Public security officer Li Guolin saved more than 30 lives at Beichuan Middle School where his 15-year-old son Li Wangziguo was a student. But his son had stopped breathing forever when he was finally found last Wednesday.

A young mother was found dead, kneeling but holding her off the ground. Sheltered beneath her torso, rescuers found her 4-month-old baby - alive.

A text message was found on the woman's cell phone wrapped in the baby's blanket: "My dear baby, if you can survive, do remember that I loved you."

Thousands of such touching stories have appeared in Chinese newspapers, online forums and personal blogs in the past week. And now, groups of bilingual Chinese youth, many of them overseas students and young workers, have been inspired to share with the world these stories of the indomitable human spirit.

"It is understandable that foreign media don't have as much coverage on the earthquake as Chinese media do, but such stories are worth passing on to everyone, regardless of their nationalities, races or religions," says Lynn Wang, a Beijing native studying in Canada.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2008/200805/20080521/article_360237.htm

Stories about the power of love and determination: http://2008sceq.googlepages.com/englisharticles

For Translation Volunteering: info@sichuan-earthquake.org
Mohamed
Admin

Number of posts : 1670

View user profile http://mohamed-aroundtheworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shammy on Sat May 24, 2008 9:14 am

Wonderful this baby survived, but so sad about the mother.

Yes agree with you Mohamed, some very touching stories have emerged from this disaster.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shammy on Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 am

Power of Love, Sichuan Earthquake Song

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shammy on Sun May 25, 2008 4:10 am

Found this article and wanted to share with you

Power and Glory of Human Nature

MY 85-year-old aunt was home alone in Chengdu when the Wenchuan earthquake struck last week. Both of her children were abroad and could not come to her rightaway.

When I finally reached her on the phone two days later, the old lady sounded in high spirit and refused to leave quake-struck Sichuan.

Even though aftershocks continued to shake the city off and on, she said she would stay where she was.

“Before the quake I planned to go to Beijing in June, but now I've changed my mind and I'd remain in Chengdu,” she told me a few days later when I called again and asked her to come over.

A native of Anhui, my aunt moved to Sichuan some 50 years ago.

“I never felt the Sichuanese to be so lovely until this disaster,” she said. “They are great and I won't leave them.”

When the rescue work needed blood, my aunt said, citizens rushed to donate blood, far surpassing the blood stations' capacity.

“It is simply amazing,” exclaimed my aunt, a physician who practised until she was 80.

Many taxi drivers also gave up their business to provide voluntary service of transportation of relief goods or injured people.

“They have families to support, but they'd work for the disaster victims for nothing.”

Even those who appeared stingy earlier become generous now, my aunt said. “A young friend's elder sister is a shop owner and people used to think she was mean. But she donated 100 cases of instant noodle soon after the quake.”

As for herself, my aunt assured me that she was well taken care of by friends and neighbours.

read on

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/25/focus/21355320&sec=focus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shammy on Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 am

Quake survivor rescued

A survivor has reportedly been pulled alive from the rubble of China's earthquake, 211 days after the tremor hit.

China's state media showed these pictures of the helicopter operation.

The earthquake devastated the country's Sichuan province 11 days earlier.

Watch the video

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7419004.stm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down