Hello,

Dear Visitor, Wherever you are in the world, Welcome to Around The World forum.

Many people may be surprised that Muslims love Mary (peace be upon her), the mother of Jesus (peace be upon him). In the Quran, no woman is given more attention than Mary(peace be upon her).

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: 'None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully. ' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

We would like to tell you NOW, a few things about the purpose of our forum: Around The World is twofold. First, it is to promote understanding between people from around the world. Secondly, it is to educate people on Islam, it's beliefs and practices.

We aspire to promote a good online communication experience for our members. I hope that you find your stay here beneficial, as well as enjoyable, and inshaAllah we benefit from each
other.

Thank you very much for visiting us and please let us make you aware of it : It is our aim That Every One of Our Visitors contributes feedback - good, bad or indifferent ...

Thank you for being a member of Around The World!

Guests can post on GUESTS RUN FORUM!

More orphanage bodies feared

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More orphanage bodies feared

Post by shammy on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:51 pm

26th February, 2008

Police excavating a youth hostel on the Channel Island of Jersey where a child's remains were found say they are investigating six more sites and cannot rule out the possibility of finding more bodies.

Officers, acting on intelligence that arose from a child abuse investigation, are searching the grounds of Haut de la Garenne, a former children's home in St Martin, on the east coast of the Channel Island, which is located off the coast of Normandy, France.

The officer leading the case said yesterday that sniffer dogs had identified the potential sites, following a police investigation that has taken statements from 140 alleged child abuse victims from as far afield as Australia, Thailand and Germany.

A Jersey Police spokeswoman said two officers had been sent to interview alleged victims in Australia. She did not specify the number or location of people affected but said it involved a "handful" of people from "far-flung" parts of the country.

A spokeswoman for the force confirmed that sniffer dogs and forensic teams had identified six more sites for investigation after the remains of a child was found yesterday morning.

http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/more_orphanage_bodies_feared_541387

Video: Body search at Children's Home

http://video.sbs.com.au/player/news/index.php?mmid=6553&chid=12
shammy

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2007-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More orphanage bodies feared

Post by shammy on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:48 am

Haut de la Garenne: Your experiences

Police in Jersey are continuing their search at the children's home Haut de la Garenne, where a child's remains were found.

Here, two BBC News website readers reflect on their experiences of the home.

Both wish to remain anonymous. The first had a couple of brief stays in Haut de la Garenne when he lived in Jersey in the seventies. He now lives abroad. The second website reader used to visit the children's home regularly, and witnessed the cruelty and abuse of the children who were sent there.

Here are their stories:

Anonymous

There were two dreadful places for me - school and home. I spent two brief periods at Haut de la Garenne, and thought it was going to be a relief for me. But it wasn't.

It felt unsafe. At Haut de la Garenne, physical abuse was a regular occurrence. It was common currency to be hit about the head.

School was the same - corporal punishment was the routine for those who, like myself, were not 'compliant' or willingly following rigid rules.

For myself, there was no-one or nowhere to go to, and it seemed that the entire adult population were doing all that they could to beat me down, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Jersey is an island - there is nowhere to run to, and I ran away several times, but the reality was there was nowhere to go. There was no escape.

ALL the institutions failed me. The school, which should have been a sanctuary from home, was a place I dreaded to go.

The local hospital, where I received attention on more than one occasion, never reported anything untoward to the local police or the equivalent of social services. The local police, and in particular the local 'honorary' police, ever keen to ensure that these matters were resolved behind closed doors, never raised an alarm.

Read on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7267267.stm#top
shammy

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2007-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dadssk on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm

this is hard to read, which only makes me think how much harder it must have been to live
dadssk

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum